But they're trying so hard

Your blogstress finds herself a bit aghast at the ingratitude of the Republican voter, what with virtually the entire field -- except for Ron Paul -- pandering so furiously to win his vote. Honestly, what's a fella got to do?

Look at Rudy, who just this weekend told viewers of Meet the Press that homosexual acts are sinful, per Roman Catholic teaching:

MR. RUSSERT: But you don’t believe homosexuality is aberrant...

MR. GIULIANI: Oh, no, no, no.

MR. RUSSERT: ...unnatural or sinful.

MR. GIULIANI: My, my, my -- no, I don’t believe it’s sinful. My, my moral views on this come from the, you know, from the Catholic Church, and I believe that homosexuality, heterosexuality as a, as a way that somebody leads their life is not -- isn’t sinful. It’s the acts, it’s the various acts that people perform that are sinful, not the—not the orientation that they have.

MR. RUSSERT: The Congress is discussing and...

MR. GIULIANI: Which includes me, by the way. I mean, you know, unfortunately, I’ve had my own sins that I’ve had to confess and had to deal with and try to overcome and so I’m very, very empathetic with people, and that we’re all, we’re all imperfect human beings struggling to, to try to be better.
Okay, so he said he didn't think that the homosexual orientation was unnatural or sinful, even though Pope Benedict XVI, writing as Pope John Paul II's prefect for the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith said, in the doctrine "On the Pastoral Care of the Homosexual Person", that while homosexual attraction is not sinful, it "is more or less a strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder."

Then there's Mike Huckabee, the former Baptist preacher who, in 1992, said that AIDS patients should be "isolated" from the rest of society. This weekend, Huckabee refused to back away from those comments. You'd think that would bring the G.O.P. voters running to him, given their supposed hatred of the homosexual's sin (if not the sinner, as their spokespeople often claim).

Hey, what if G.O.P. voters don't really care that much whether someone is gay or not? What if they just want someone to come up with a way out of the economic and foreign policy mess that Bush has bequeathed us?

No wonder they're not impressed.

Popular posts from this blog

Anti-gay robo-call

Speaker drama: Breaking stuff is the point, and Bannon's in the middle of it